10 - 15
15 - 20 minutes
Looking for a gluten free and dairy free bake? Amongst friends this is something we would lovingly call ‘Lizzie Friendly’ due to the many dietary requirements of my friend Lizzie.
This is utterly delicious. Best after a couple of days, if you can wait that long.
This is an adaptation of Nigella’s Lemon Polenta Cake.
200 grams soft dairy spread. I use Flora or vitalife
200 grams caster sugar + 1 additional tablespoon
200 grams ground almonds
100 grams fine polenta
1½ teaspoons baking powder – use gluten free if catering to someone GF
3 large eggs
zest of 2 medium oranges
300g of peeled rhubarb in 3-4cm sticks
50g of chopped crystalised ginger, I used the fiery ginger from Whitworth’s.
You will need:
1 greased and lined cake tin, 26cm width.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan
- 2 In your greased and lined cake tin sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar and lay the rhubarb along the base. Then evenly sprinkle the rhubarb with the crystalised ginger.
- 3 In a bowl, beat the dairy free spread and sugar together.
- 4 In another bowl mix the almonds, polenta, and baking powder. Add a third of this mixture to the spread and sugar and then add one egg.
- 5 Beat the mixture and gradually alternate between adding eggs and the dry ingredients.
- 6 Add the zest of 2 oranges and mix
- 7 Pour this mixture over your rhubarb and ginger and pop in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes.
- 8 The cake is done when the cake is starting to shrink away from the sides of the tin and then top of the cake is golden brown. Due to the moisture in this cake it will be a little wobbly.
- 9 Leave to cool before turning upside down to serve. This is great with diary free yoghurt or Greek Yoghurt and Honey